It was good if I want to say it in one sentence. But you can check the details of the most important things that affected me, and I think it’s important to share.
Microsoft Teched Middle East 2010
- 2010 was the first year for Microsoft to bring Teched to the Middle East. It was a great opportunity for me to be around such amount of developers and IT professionals that are all passionate to learn.
- I attended about 4 to 5 sessions a day for 3 days, that’s why I chose my sessions carefully, by the way, I was live-tweeting there.
- I was lucky to meet Scott Hanselman in person, I attended all his sessions, and I did a small interview with him too, but he is still not following me on twitter 🙁
- That was also my first trip to Dubai (:
- You can find more photos from Teched ME here and some additional photos for the trip to Dubai as well.
- Here is my summary of the event.
- In October, I had the opportunity for the first time to attend GITEX, which is the most prominent IT Exhibition in the Middle East.
- Microsoft Stands were amazing, that was my first time to use Windows Phone 7 and Xbox Kinect.
- I also visited GITEX shopper and got my self new HP laptop with Intel core i5.
- I spent a week in Dubai, and it was an amazing experience.
- You can find my photos from GITEX 2010 here.
Career and Work
Tasdid for e-services
- Well, in May, my Manager left the job (he got a better job), so I was in charge, and my position was officially changed to Senior Technical Supervisor. However, I think I still prefer “Software Engineer,” it was really such a big responsibility to handle suddenly. It’s like one day you are a .NET developer, and the second day you are responsible for the IT department of the online payment system in Syria.
- Later in October, I also became the manager of the Call Center department in addition to being the IT manager, which adds more responsibilities and brings me much more experience.
Microsoftiat Podcast – Hyperstage.net
- Late September, my brother Bassl and I started Microsoftiat podcast. A weekly show that talks about and discusses Microsoft technologies, products, and development tools.
- Our first beta episode got excellent reviews and a lot of positive feedbacks. Till now, we did 4 episodes.
- We have published our last one with our first interview with Mr. Abdurrahman AlQahtani from Microsoft Arabia, where we discussed Microsoft’s successful stories during 2010.
Microsoft and Open Source – Technical Presentation
- That was the title of the presentation that gave in the first Damascus meetup.
- I demonstrated how Microsoft is taking serious steps to develop, host, and support Open Source projects.
- You can download the PowerPoint presentation here
- This year was the first time to meet a Syrian Minister.
- I stopped learning French.
- I started my Web Science Master at the Syrian Virtual University.
- This year I made my first trip ever to Egypt, it was a short trip for work, but I enjoyed some time around Cairo.
- I got the 3rd generation Amazon Kindle Wi-Fi. My cosine in France bought it for me. He delivered it to me later. Although Amazone.com is blocked here in Syria, I can still use it to read PDF files and .mobi,.epub books.
- I became a technical translator for ArabicAListApart.com, the Arabic version of the American alistapart.com, I translated about 5 articles of different topics, and there are more to come soon.
- Finally and just on 30/12/2010 I got an HTC HD7 device, yes with the new Windows Phone 7 OS
Well, that explains what I mean by 2010 was a good year. I wish yours was a good as mine.